• Utilities
  • Moving home
  • Internet
  • Tradesmen
  • House checks
  • Vehicle registration
  • Driving licence
  • Insurance
  • Carte Vitale
  • Health system
  • Doctors’ appointments
  • Disabled badges
  • Insurance
  • Dealing with tax offices
  • Bank accounts
  • RSA & CAF
  • Setting up as micro-entreprise
  • Residency requirements
  • Titre/Carte de séjour
  • Applying for French nationality

here to help

Even if you enjoy dealing with paperwork and official admin in your own language, it can be difficult to tackle it in a language that you don’t speak.  French bureaucracy is notoriously complicated, making it all the more difficult to get to grips with.

If you actively hate paperwork, and/or your French isn’t up to coping with French officials, this business exists to help you navigate your way through the quagmire of French bureaucracy without becoming bogged down.

I will help out with carte de séjour files, carte vitale applications, re-registering cars, ringing the CAF (housing benefit) and RSA (income support), accompanying people to banking, legal, Pole Emploi and doctors’ appointments, in fact anything that you come up against during your life in France, leaving you more time to enjoy life.

I look forward to hearing from you if you need some help.

Everyday Life

Your Home

I can help organise setting up or switching electricity, gas, phone/broadband services and house insurance.

If you are intending to have work done, I can interpret for you with local tradesmen and help you apply for any grants that might be applicable.

I can also help with any other day to day problems, issues or questions that may crop up.  If I don’t know something, I will find out and point you in the right direction.

Your Car

Whether you want to register a French-bought car for a carte grise, or are bringing one in from the UK, I can fill in the forms and guide you through the process.  Likewise if you want to change your driving licence to a French one, or sort out car insurance.

House Checks

If your house is going to be empty for any period of time, I am happy to perform a house checking service and go in to make sure that all is okay.


Getting into the Health System

A carte vitale is the key to receiving treatment in the French health system.  Getting hold of one is fairly straight-forward if you are an EU citizen and in receipt of an S1 form.  It becomes more complicated if you are not, and Brexit will complicate it further for UK citizens.  I will help guide you through the requirements, fill in the forms and jump through the hoops.

I can also help with sorting out top up or other health insurance.  And can accompany you to doctor’s appointments to interpret, if your doctor doesn’t speak English.

If you are disabled and need a badge I can also guide you through the process and help you fill in the forms.



Communicating with the Bank Manager

One of the first things that you will need over here is a French bank account.  Terms and conditions are different to those elsewhere and you need to know what you are signing up for.  Let me help you understand the information that you are given and interpret your questions and the bank staff’s answers.

Registering with the Tax Man

If you are living in France full time then you need to register for tax with your local tax offices and are expected to produce a yearly tax return.  While I am not a financial expert, I can help you understand and complete the forms and accompany you to appointments at the tax office, where they will answer any questions that you may have, and check that you have filled the form in correctly.

Financial Aid

If you are officially resident in France and on a low income, you may be eligible for financial aid, such as housing benefit (CAF) or income support (RSA).   I can help you apply for these, and phone the helplines for you if needed.


French business structures are complicated and can be costly.  The simplest and cheapest way to set up and run a business is to become a micro-entreprise (what used to be called an auto-entrepreneur).  I can help you fill in the forms, and seek help from the appropriate organisation (Chambres de Métiers/Chambres de Commerce), if necessary.


I can help work out the best way to proceed if you are a foreign business looking to register an employee in France, or if you have your own business in the UK and want to be an employee over here. I have experience registering foreign businesses, working with the CNFE and TFE and doing all of the associated paperwork.


Getting a Titre de Séjour

If you are an EU citizen, you have no need to do anything to be allowed to live in France, although you should keep a record of the day, and way that you arrived, as you may need to prove it for other purposes.

However non-EU citizens who are here on a long term basis need a residency permit.   This now includes UK citizens.

Talk to me about the requirements and help in preparing and presenting your “dossier”.

Get in Touch

Please leave a short message, name and number and I will get back to you or contact me directly on the number or email below.

    Where I am based

    I live and work in the picturesque village of Palalda in the Vallespir.  I’m happy to help anyone with face to face services across the Pyrenees-Orientales, and beyond that with virtual services.

    Get in touch
    French Paperwork etc

    Madeleine McMullin trading as French Paperwork etc

    SIREN : 798575593

    Below you will find the CSS for disabling animations on tablet/mobile, enable animation delay on desktop, IE fixes

    Who I am

    My name is Madeleine and I run French Paperwork etc.  I will explain what you need to do, help fill in forms, make phone calls, accompany you to appointments to interpret where necessary, and generally help sort out anything to do with living in France –  from setting up home and registering yourself officially in France, buying and registering a car, getting a bank account, to accessing and using the health system.  

    Many of my friends have asked me to help them tackle their paperwork over the years, probably because of my organised nature, ability to speak French, and my experience of living and working in France.

    After more than a decade of helping out with carte de séjour files, carte vitale applications, re-registering cars, ringing the CAF (housing benefit) and RSA (income support), accompanying people to banking, legal, Pole Emploi and doctors’ appointments, I thought that maybe I should put this experience to good use and start a business doing it. The result is French Paperwork etc.

    I look forward to hearing from you if you need some help.

    Madeleine McMullin